Element 3 top-up funding for SEND
Element 3 top-up funding is available to schools to support with the delivery of an EHCP. It is paid by the local authority and must reflect the costs of the additional support needed to meet the individual pupil or student's provision set out in their EHCP.
The funding is:
- only to deliver provision that you cannot fund within your notional SEN funding
- what is required, over and above the core funding you receive, to allow a pupil or student with high needs to participate in mainstream education and learning
- only for interventions listed in section F of the plan
- for children with the highest needs - not every child with an EHCP will need element 3 funding
Before any funding is awarded, we need to see evidence of what you have already spent, or intended to spend, from your notional funding.
When to apply for element 3 funding
You should apply for funding:
- When a plan is finalised with your setting
- As part of an annual review
Do not submit an E3 request:
- When the plan is at draft as part of a consultation - the provision has not been finalised at this point and it will not be possible to consider a request until a plan is in place. If you identify additional funding is needed as part of the consultation process, you should note this in your response and will be able to formally request funding when the plan is finalised.
- During the life of the plan if a review meeting has not been held. If you require additional funding, it would indicate either the child's needs have changed, or your schools ability to meet those needs has changed. In either case this should always trigger a review of the plan.
How to apply
The easiest way to apply is online.
Any paper forms submitted after 1 May 2021 will not be accepted.
- Complete the application form. If you create an account, you will be able to log in to keep track of all of your requests and won't need to compete all of your personal details on each form.
- When you submit your request, you will receive an email notification with a PDF copy of your form submission for your records.
- The form will be reviewed by your linked EHCP Officer. We will do our best to look at this request within 10 working days.
- Your EHCP Officer will make a recommendation on the funding amount to be agreed to a Senior Inclusion Manager. The manager will make the final decision on the amount to be paid.
- Once funding has been authorised, an email notification will be sent to you.
About the funding
- Funding is paid quarterly in arrears.
- The amount you receive is apportioned across the Council's financial year (April to March) rather than being linked to an academic year.
- You will receive a quarterly funding statement from the School Finance team listing all of the funding amounts that have been authorised.
- Funding will usually be for a 12 month period, reflecting the reviewing period of the plan. Funding may be for a shorter periods, for example if an early review is scheduled as part of the initial plan being finalised, or where funding is agreed towards the end of the child's final academic year at the school.
- Funding cannot be paid for periods when a final plan is not in place, for example if a plan remains at draft for a prolonged period as part of the assessment process
Help and support
For support with the annual review process and understanding the provision set out in the EHCP, please speak with your linked EHCP Officer.
For help with provision mapping or understanding how to implement strategies, speak to your linked educational psychologist.
For queries around funding schedules please email the School Finance team.