Derby Inclusion Tool (DIT)
We're in the process of rolling out a new tool to help parents/carers and schools/settings to get a better understanding of the needs of children with SEND. The LMBL Derby Inclusion Tool (DIT) will be used by all settings across the City to give us a consistent approach to identifying need and understanding your ability as a school to meet those needs.
What is it?
The approach centres on a tool which allows a better understanding and quantification of the holistic needs of children.
- Provides an evaluation of their educational and home settings readiness to meet these needs.
- Regular use allows changes in needs over time to be dynamically tracked, and so enables professionals and families to provide tailored support
- Aims to enhance the experiences and confidence of our families and SENCOs by shaping and supporting more positive conversations around supporting the needs of the children.
The new tool will replace existing paperwork as part of the graduated approach, and the EHC request, review and consultation processes.
At an individual child level
- Assists with the early identification of a child/young person’s needs and provides practical strategies and interventions to implement
- Improves positive dialogue / collaborative planning with parents, carers and professionals
- Strengthens EHCP requests, annual review and transitions processes and planning
At a school or setting level
- Promotes greater understanding of the SEN Cohort and how ‘ready’ the setting is to meet needs–supporting planning on workforce development, recruitment and budget setting.
- Improves children/young people’s Inclusion and outcomes
- Provides SENCos with a Peer Support network to share challenges and best practice
For the Derby Local Offer
- Helps us to understand the city-wide provision required to support our settings and children- informing training offers and service commissioning
The Derby Inclusion Tool is now on an online platform! The eDIT is a more user-friendly web platform, which has advanced features around reporting on need and setting readiness.
There are downloadable files and information for the child and setting at the click of a button and access to graphs and charts showing trends in your setting.
Visit the Derby Inclusion Tool’s website to access the eDIT online tool. Please see below in the Resources section for a complete user guide to using the eDIT and also some shorter guides for specific functions.
To view a recording of the online training session please view the video.
eDIT training session
- Guidance for parents in using and completing the DIT
- Tips on taking a strengths based approach using DIT
- Tips on providing your DIT school readiness
- SENCO Guidance : Annual Review and Transitions Toolkit
- Complete step-by-step guidance to completing the eDIT 2023
- Using eDIT completing an assessment and support planning
- Using eDIT running reports
- Using eDIT administrative functions
If you require any of the above content in an accessible format, please contact DIT@derby.gov.uk.
The feedback so far
It really allowed us to reflect on the student and their underlying needs and helped us talk to the parent who shared strategies they use at home that we will adopt in school." - Derby SENCo
I really love this, it’s really helped me to think about the support my daughter needs and the areas that I need help with." - Derby Parent