Derby City Educational Psychology Service
The Educational Psychology Service (EPS) provides a wide range of services to help the People’s Services department with identifying and meeting the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) of children and young people aged 0-25. This includes working with educational settings to support a graduated response to special educational needs provision and advising on statutory support as part of an education, health and care needs assessment.
The role of educational psychologists
Educational psychologists (EPs) provide a range of quality assured services to support children and young people in Derby at all stages of the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice. This includes statutory duties and services bought in by schools/settings.
Each EP is expected to develop a specialism and has a small allocation of time for this work. Please follow the link for the full list of Specialisms: Educational Psychology Service. The benefits of having a range of specialisms within an EPS are:
- To widen the breadth of in-depth knowledge within the whole service.
- To be able to offer advice to other EPs or colleagues within STePS.
- To deliver bespoke training packages on request.
- To deliver bespoke packages of support for children and young people.
Please follow the link for the full list of
Services available from the Educational Psychology Service:
- Statutory Duties: Educational Psychology Service
- Sold Service: Educational Psychology Service
- Additional Services Free to Settings: Educational Psychology Service
Educational psychology and research
Since 2005 educational psychology training in the United Kingdom has required trainees to complete Doctoral level courses, which involve completing research projects. EPs therefore have research experience and can be commissioned on a Local Authority or School strategic level, on request.
Please follow the link for information about Research by Derby City EPs
Useful links and information about Derby City Educational Psychology Service:
- Referral Routes: Educational Psychology Service
- Derby City Educational Psychology School Allocation List
- Getting the most out of our service: Educational Psychology Service
- Educational Psychologists Working with Parents
- Observation from an Educational Psychologist
- Educational Psychology Team Leaflet