Education and skills - Early Career Teacher Appropriate Body Service
As from September 2021, every Early Career Teacher (ECT) must have a personalised induction programme for their two-year Statutory Induction Process against the Early Career Framework (ECF) from September 2021.
There are three different options available to schools when supporting their ECTs from September 2021:
- The Full Induction Programme (FIP) – overseen and facilitated by one of six accredited providers selected by the school
- The Core Induction Programme (CIP) – the school select one of four DfE accredited provider materials to utilise in the training and support of the ECT
- The School Based Induction Programme (SB) – the school opt to design their own two-year programme that is faithful to the Early Career Framework.
Derby Local Authority will continue to operate as an Appropriate body.
As an Appropriate body we have two key roles:
1. Monitoring of support:
- Checking that early career teachers are receiving their statutory entitlements, and that regard is had to the statutory guidance
- Provide ECF fidelity checks, ensuring schools are supported to provide ECTs with an ECF-based induction (this is for the CIP and SB options).
2. Monitoring of assessment – as an appropriate body we will make the final decision as to whether the ECT has satisfactorily met the Teachers’ Standards, based on the headteacher’s recommendation.
As an Appropriate body, we endeavour to support schools by offering:
- Introductory sessions, training or briefings for induction tutors, mentors and ECTs to make sure they understand their roles and responsibilities
- An induction handbook for ECTs, induction tutors, mentors, and headteachers which could provide information on key induction areas such as statutory entitlements
- Additional advice line for induction tutors
- Regular ECT newsletters with key updates and information.
Support prior to the start of induction
Once we have received notification from a Headteacher that an ECT will be undertaking induction, as the selected appropriate body, we will begin checks of the support in place. Most of these initial checks can be done through correspondence with the headteacher and/or the induction tutor. We may ask schools to supply information or evidence that due diligence checks have been fulfilled.
We have a duty to quality assure provision that schools are implementing. Most visits will be random, but we will prioritise schools where there are ECTs at risk. This visit is not an inspection. We will check process for compliance to statutory procedure, offer support to mentors and induction tutors and provide written feedback on the quality assurance process.
By appointing Derby City Council as the Appropriate Body you are agreeing to purchase either:
- The Appropriate Body package
- The Fast Track Service.
The Appropriate Body Package
This package enables schools and academies to fulfil the statutory requirements for the successful completion of the ECT induction period through:
- Ongoing support and advice from the Derby City Council ECT/NQT Responsible Officer
- Access to ECT Manager online system which enables the monitoring of ECT progress
- Guidance provided in Derby City Council’s 'The Induction Handbook for Schools supporting ECTs' with supporting documentation to enable tutors and mentors to monitor the ECT
- Regular newsletters providing key updates
- Attendance to briefing events
- Access to one free ½ day quality assurance visit when an NQT is not meeting standards or a concern is raised.
Option 1 - a funded induction provider led programme - £225 for two years (charged £112.50 each year)
Option 2 - a ‘core induction programme’ - £225 for two years (charged £112.50 each year) plus £160 for fidelity check (half day)
Option 3 - a ‘school-based programme’ - £225 for two years (charged £112.50 each year) plus £320 for fidelity check (full day)
The Fast Track Service Package
This package enables schools and academies the opportunity to apply for a reduction to their ECT induction period. It is targeted at ECTs who are judged to be consistently good or better and have significant teaching experience prior to starting induction.
The package includes:
- An initial consultation regarding the ECT’s progress and their prior teaching experience
- Access to one ½ day assessment including:
- A scrutiny of the evidence of progress against the Teachers’ Standards kept by the Induction Tutor and the ECT
- A lesson observation
- Interviews conducted with the ECT, ECT Mentor/Induction Tutor.
Please note: The Fast Track Service is only applicable to ECTs who meet the set criteria as per section 3 (paragraphs 3.1 to 3.5) of the Induction for Early Career Teachers (England) Statutory Guidance revised March 2021 and comes into force September 2021.
Any reduction to the induction period should only be made on the basis that the ECT has met the relevant standards. As an AB we are mindful of any ECT being denied their entitlement to a two-year induction unnecessarily. If a teacher wishes to serve the full induction period they must be permitted to do so. Reductions to induction should never be used because the school does not have the resource to offer a full-length induction.
Cost: Please contact ECT.firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this request.
Transitional NQTs is the term we are using for newly qualified teachers who have started, but not completed, induction by 1 September 2021. DfE say they should continue to refer to the statutory induction guidance for newly qualified teachers 2018. All Transitional NQTs have until 1st September 2023 to complete induction within three terms. After 1 September 2023, when the transition period ends, all ECTs will be required to complete a two-year induction period. These ECTs should not restart induction, but rather complete what remains of a two-year induction. It is expected that they will be able to access ECF support and entitlements for the remainder of their induction.
Cost: £58 per term per Transitional NQT
Oracle supplier name: GOV - QSP - Governor Support
How to order
Now you have selected the services you require, please visit the How to order services section to find out how you can place your order.