Derby City Council is an Appropriate Body for the Verification and Support of NQTs. The Appropriate Body, along with the Head Teacher / Principal is jointly responsible for the monitoring, support and assessment of the NQT during induction and has the main quality assurance role. We help schools meet statutory requirements to support NQTs, able to meet their responsibilities for monitoring, support and guidance and for undertaking a rigorous and equitable assessment of the NQT(s).
Quality Assurance Visits
As an Appropriate Body, we have a duty to assure ourselves that schools understand and are able to meet their responsibilities for overseeing NQT induction in their particular school. Most visits will be random, but we will prioritise schools where there are NQTs at risk. This visit is not an inspection. We will check processes (for compliance with what is a statutory procedure), offer support to tutors and NQTs, and make what we hope are helpful suggestions.
Derby City LA wishes to provide head teachers, induction tutors and NQTs with the highest levels of support. If you have any issues, concerns or questions, please contact us at email@example.com
Guidelines on the Appointment of an NQT
Prior to appointment
Prior to appointment of an NQT the head teacher:
- must supply brief details of the post to provide information which will ensure it is suitable for induction purposes. The information should include whether the NQT would be teaching:
- full classes
- the same classes throughout the assessment period
- the whole curriculum, as appropriate to the setting.
Before you appoint an NQT please use the NQT suitability checker which will help you to decide if this is a suitable post for an NQT.
Action: The information should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by email.
- ensuring the school has the capacity to provide the NQT with the support of an appropriately experienced and trained colleague in the role of an Induction Tutor
- checking that the NQT is eligible for Induction
- checking whether the NQT has completed any of their Induction periods and the recommendations made on the formal assessment reports.
At Interview Stage
At interview stage head teachers should confirm with the NQT:
- the NQT's eligibility for induction (checking QTS certificate, evidence of skills tests, as appropriate)
- the NQT's status on the Teaching Agency database.
Immediately after appointment
Immediately after appointment head teachers:
- should register the NQT on NQT Manager which will send an email to the LA to enable the Appropriate Body to carry out the required checks - (if you are unable to log on email email@example.com )
- informing the Appropriate Body and confirming all the information on NQT Manager
- agreeing the date on which Induction can begin
- ensuring that the processes and practice for NQT Induction within the School/Academy are commensurate with those required in the "Induction for newly qualified teachers (England) Statutory guidance for appropriate bodies, head teachers, school staff and governing bodies " - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/induction-for-newly-qualified-teachers-nqts
- supporting the Appropriate Body in providing quality assurance information
- ensuring formal assessment reports are submitted via NQT Manager within the identified timescale for the Appropriate Body to fulfil the verification aspect of their role
- informing the Appropriate Body immediately if an NQT is at risk of not meeting the standards.
NQT Sold Service
By appointing Derby City Council as the Appropriate Body you are agreeing to purchase either:
- The Appropriate Body package
- The Fast Track Service
- The Support Service for NQTs experiencing difficulties
- Induction Tutor Training and Mentor Training.
For costings refer to the Derby Way Sold Service Brochure.
New Induction NQT Tutor training: this is for new tutors and for existing tutors who require a refresher. Usually held in September, details will be posted when arranged. If you require a school based session email firstname.lastname@example.org
NQT Verification Panel Dates 2020/21
- 27 March 2020
- 17 July 2020
- 16 December 2020
- 26 March 2021
- 16 July 2021